Thursday 4 August 2011

Weather: Our newest worst enemy.

Ahh, Summer!

 I arrived from work, left the garage door open so the air from the hot pavement could exchange for the air of my cool basement.

 All of the sudden, I hear like if the people upstairs is continuously dropping 'small' stuff in the kitchen floor.
I run upstairs to see what my undisciplined roommates are doing to find the nice surprise of hail falling like crazy on my backyard.

In the city I live, you can see cars covered on hail damage dots. Next reaction: "Cheese, my car!!"
I run downstairs, get my car keys, and run outside through the already open garage door. I get in the drivers seat, but..oh, my Bowflex is extended, my car would no fit.
I run to the Bowflex, put it on the storage position, and proceed to park my car.

The sudden hail storm in the middle of the Summer is not that intense to cause any damage to my vehicle, nevertheless, I reverse my car fast, broke a couple of plastic things, but that was it. My car was safe under a roof.

I immediately post on my Facebook the weather situation.  A friend replied: "It's crazy!"

Yes it is. It is more than crazy, it is totally irrational, and unpredictable.  Then I remember the CBC's  noon show, where a 'Senior' Climatologist was talking about the weather in a way like he was paid not do show the real facts of our weather, the cold reality that it is going to lead us to a chaotic situation in our relationship with the Forces of Nature.


I wrote them a letter, and a great friend of mine like it so much that, that is the main reason to set this blog -which I always wanted to have-, so she can link it to 'her' blog, to remind everybody of why we should take drastic measures to stop wrecking an already unbalanced weather that in the future, it will disrupt not only our way of life, but our capacity to stay .......  alive, or should I say: "Safe in the air?".

 Here you have the letter:

It left me speechless the tranquility we talk about the weather, like:'Ooops, it is getting baadd!!'

The ice caps are melting. There was -or... there is??-, an iceberg of the size of a Caribbean Island around the East Coast of Canada, and you guys are like:"Mmmm...what a tricky weather!!"

To much moisture -water-, on the atmosphere, there are flooding  everywhere, and I hear people on the CBC news saying:" I have never seen anything like this before".
Of course not!!!  This is the first time that is happening, because it is the first time that there is so much water -from the ice caps-, melted everywhere. That water has to go somewhere, right?

Like is the first time a Storm downs one of the most sophisticated planes -remember Air France 447?-. The plane wasn't designed to face such storms, it's instruments failed, the plane went down in one uncontrollable piece. Being an aviation enthusiast, I can not imagine the powerless feeling of the pilots, being on the flight deck of a rock.

Now, remember Pakistan? Australia? Mexico!, string of tornadoes a weeks ago in the States, drought and famine in Africa?  But......:"It is just crazy weather!"

Is all this water from the ice caps that is not on the sea flooding the lowest land levels beside the sea, it is on the atmosphere creating all this tornadoes, violent sudden storms, rain in a unprecedented way, drought before the floods, fires, First Nations evacuated by R.C.A.F. transport planes....come on!  How can you guys take it so .... lightly?

I think that we are not going to be flooded and lose our coasts, or the coasts around the planet. I think we are going to be immersed in a chain of never ending storms, drought, tornadoes, fires, and to add insult to the injury: Earthquakes -just to put the icing over the cake  : ]      ,on top of that, add a couple of Tsunamis, etc. Total chaos and atmospheric unbalance.

We have destroyed the natural pattern of the weather, we destroy football fields of rainforest by the second, we drop tons of CO2 into the atmosphere at the same time; we do the line on the drive through with our vehicle, instead of doing the line where actually there is less people [Tim Horton's doesn't care, they will not make it faster], and it is faster doing the line on foot than in our domestic gas guzzlers, and you guy are talking about a weather quizzz?? give me a break!

If it is too cold in the winter, we make our inefficient homes warm and leave the doors and windows open, we overheat the planet. Then when it is too hot in the Summer, we turn on the air conditioning and sit on our leather Sofa. It is Summer! Take another short cold shower and dress lightly, and do not seat on the leather coach, or put a sheet on it, but cranking the air conditioning? We are just digging our own.....graves.

Maybe is because Alberta depends on Fossil Fuels to keep us on our huge homes -compared to the world median-, and our over sized vehicles -check car sizes in Europe, Australia, South America, Japan, etc-, and our frenzy for consumption, and waste,  that it is why I think Media avoids pointing at the real culprits on this crime.  Ignoring the true is only going to take us to the stone age when the 'deck', that keep us alive over this planet collapses.

From now on we will only hear about tens if not hundreds of tornadoes touching down in one single day or night, extreme heat, unstoppable rain, floods everywhere, drought in the other half, unmeasurable amounts of crops will be lost, our food supply will be shortened in extreme, water will be scarce, and then the governments, and the media -and that includes YOU-, will be pointed at, as the ..... misleading forces that will take us all to our own destruction, because the planet will stay, like always have been, but our life support will be gone, when now is the moment to teach everyone that we are overheating the planet with our wasteful costumes.

I drive what you would call an eighteen wheeler -it is a twenty two wheeler to be precise-, and I can see the info from the computer: 2,9 ..2,7....1,8  kilometer per liters. It worries me. It is too much diesel.
I do not quit because I would be replaced with someone who doesn't pay attention to this indicators, someone who may be driving a gas guzzler instead a Honda Civic, someone who would say:"Who cares, I need my money", and will keep the over consumption.

We have to learn that we are destroying the "deck" that keep us living in peace with nature.

I bet you don't have any idea, or maybe don't realize that every time you depress the accelerator, you are increasing the heat that comes into the only 'bubble' we have: The biosphere. At the same time you don't realize that when you depress the brakes, you are turning the vehicle's Kinetic energy into..........yes, Calorific energy, which is what you would call HEAT, the heat that comes from the friction between the brake pads, and the brake rotors/drums.  So we accelerate ... we create heat, we apply the brakes.....we create heat.

I bet you didn't know, or never thought about that, so the millions of people driving, driving over sized domestic vehicles.

So, yes, it is US and yes The U.S. too, the ones that started this Oil consumption rampage, and yes, it is climate change, just check Saskatchewan: 50% flooded, 50% on fire -or at least it was-, AND GUESS WHO IS NEXT??

It is matter of time, for us to be under the Weather's Guillotine, our time will come to see our garages, our cars, our homes, and our lives crushed by the weather. It is matter of time, the bomb is ticking, Karma always comes back to bite us.

Hope you can sleep well. God help us all.

Weather Smart Trucker (WST)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Carlos. It's tough when it's your job to burn fuel. Sulako has done a similar blog entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We have destroyed the natural pattern of the weather"

    That point is being contended. If evidence does not bear it out, would you welcome the relief, or perhaps find some other basis for your alarm?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well fche, being myself a truck driver, I have not proof of evidence of what I am talking about on this blog. In my work place, I am less than a meter of being exposed to all elements of nature, and I am always looking at a window where the sky takes 15% of my view, so, no, I do not have proof or evidence of what it is going on, but I can see it. Can you see it? I bet you will experience Global Warming, and Climate Change first hand, and I can bet that it will be in your face, and you will be not very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep Aviatrix, it is not nice seeing first hand how much fuel I am burning with every speed change my truck does, but I am controlling it better than 99% of truck drivers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I do not have proof or evidence of what it is going on, but I can see it."

    Seeing is a fine source of evidence.

    "Can you see it?"

    I see strange weather too, but I know that my recent memory is far more powerful than my distant memory, and am subject to confirmation bias, so I cannot reliably identify such trends: at least not without formal notes/data/numbers over time. So I don't trust myself to guess whether it's worse or better or unusual than before, based just on what I have seen recently.

    ReplyDelete